What are the primary uses of foil faced insulation?
To choose the insulation for your house, foil faced insulation is one option to consider. Foil-faced insulation is rigid polyunsaturate foam panel. Foil-faced insulation is designed with one side of the reflective foil to eliminate heat loss. Typically, the foil-side is installed facing the hot air surface to reflect energy back toward the interior of the building or home. Various of best insulation materials combined cost-effectively in the Foil-faced insulation method. It has different properties like:
- Foil-faced insulation act as a vapor barrier, that prevents moisture from moving one space to another.
- It is the best type of insulation for retaining heat, as it can reflect radiant energy that translates into heat, thereby reducing a loss of heat in winter and heat gain in the summer.
- It is cost-effective, flexible and increases comfort.
- This facing insulation is designed to enhance acoustical performance by improving the STC (Sound Transmission Class) of walls, ceilings, and floor and to transfer heat very slow making it more energy efficient.
- Works as a barrier for radon, methane, vermin, termites, and vapor.
- The foils used in foil faced insulation are combustible. Therefore, this type of insulation designed for non-exposed applications only, and it can be a severe fire hazard if misused.
When to use foil face insulation?
Foil-faced insulation can use in a wide range for commercial and residential applications:
- Exterior wall,
- Ceiling applications (like in cathedral ceilings – frequently required for use in ceilings without attics)
However, foil facing insulation customarily built in space that contains a frame that the foil can be attached to or an area with the loft and stores the heat in this area by reflecting the heat back into space. Foil insulation can also use in some regions of a house that may become over-heated during summers. These areas can have foil placed on the outside of the building and will reflect the light away from the spaces that get over-heated within the property. It improves the thermal performance of walls, ceilings, attics, and roofs. There are multiple thicknesses available, and its light weight makes handling and installation simple. Foil-a low emissivity material: Adding a flat emissivity foil facing to at least one side of the cavity will improve to have a clear unventilated cavity, maybe even triple the thermal resistance. This means that adding a foil facing to insulation can significantly improve the U-value of the construction. This enables a thinner insulation to be used to achieve the same U-value. Every product has Pros and Cons – What are the Cons of Foil-faced insulation: Though the advantages of Foil-faced insulation are countless, the cons of this insulation must always consider before purchasing:
- It is a metal-based product which makes it generally more expensive than other products.
- It tends to be more expensive to install in Cold climates due to the combination of other insulation products.
- More useful in warmer climates and less useful in colder climates unless several combinations of insulation products combined with foil faced coil.
- It is a metal-based product; thus, it is an excellent conductor of electricity. Due to high electrical conductance, there are chances of potential electrical hazards because of reflective insulation if any wiring fault occurs.
- To ensure maximum efficiency, it requires keen focus and cleaning of debris and dust. If dust and debris are entrapped or overlapped, the effectiveness of foil faced coil may reduce. After installing especially on a roof and when in use, time to time dust cleaning must ensure.
Application of Foil Faced Coil:
- To eliminate heat loss, one side of foil faced insulation designed with reflective foil.
- The favorable temperature of building’s interior is maintained by installing the foil side facing the warmer surface or towards heat or sun exposure to get all the, or some of the energy reflected towards the building’s interior.
- As mentioned above, Geographical locations are highly dependent upon the application and use of Foil Faced Coil. Every place or area has it’s building codes and specific standards that must meet to maintain a favorable temperature indoors.